Teaching and/or Extension Activities:
I am mostly administrative in the Food Processing Center. My focus is on leading the Center to expand its impact and provide economic benefits to the food businesses of Nebraska, the region, and the world. Our team of scientists, engineers, and support staff are working to explore and develop new technology and then share those advances with the food industry.
Research Area: My specialty is food property characterization, but my current focus is on R&D leadership, project leadership, portfolio management, and organizational efficiency enhancement.
Five Selected Publications:
- Hartel, R.W., Connelly, R.K., Howell, Jr., T.A., and Hyslop, D.B. 2008. Math Concepts for Food Engineers, 2nd ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Howell, Jr., T.A and Cogburn, R.R. 2004. Rough Rice Storage. Pp. 269-282 in, Rice Chemistry and Technology, 3rd Edition, ed. E.T. Champagne, Eagan Press, St. Paul, MN.
- Howell, Jr., T.A. 2003. Rice Storage. Pp. 545-566 in, RICE, eds. C.W. Smith and R.H. Dilday, Wiley, New York.
- Ranalli, R.P., Howell, Jr., T.A., and Siebenmorgen, T.J. 2003. Effects of controlled ambient aeration on rice quality during on-farm storage. Cereal Chemistry, 80(1):9-12.
- Howell, T.A., and Hartel, R.W. 2001. Drying and crystallization of sucrose in thin films at elevated temperatures. Journal of Food Science, 66(7): 979-984.
FPC Executive Director and
PhD- University of Wisconsin- Madison (Biological Systems Engineering)
MS- Texas A&M University (Agricultural Engineering)
BS- Texas A&M University (Agricultural Engineering)
226 Food Innovation Center
Lincoln, NE 68588-6206
402 472 2142