Mentoring post-doctoral fellow and advising Undergraduate, M.S. and Ph.D. students.
Course Director: Omnivore's digestive tract microbiome course (FDST 442/842 - Spring)
The human microbiome inhabits many body sites, such as the skin and the digestive tract from mouth to colon. The research topics are centered on the microbiome along the digestive tract, its dissemination, and interaction with the host in the context of health and disease. The work in the laboratory includes:
1) Understanding the effect of diet on the digestive microbiome,
2) Studying the dissemination of members of the microbiome,
3) Improving methodologies related to microbiome analyses.
Selected Publications (complete list of publications is available at NCBI via this link: http://go.unl.edu/0qwf ) (*co-authors):
Role of dietary flavonoid compounds in driving patterns of microbial community assembly Kerry L Ivey, Andrew T Chan*, Jacques Izard*, Aedin Cassidy, Geraint B Rogers* and Eric B Rimm* mBio (2019) vol. 10 (5) e01205-19
- Erika del Castillo, Richard Meier, Mei Chung, Devin C. Koestler, Tsute Chen, Bruce J. Paster, Kevin P. Charpentier, Karl T. Kelsey, Jacques Izard, and Dominique S. Michaud. The Microbiomes of Pancreatic and Duodenum Tissue Overlap and are Highly Subject Specific but Differ between Pancreatic Cancer and Non-Cancer Subjects Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention (2019) vol. 28(2), pp. 370-383
Raaj S. Mehta, Galeb Abu-Ali, David A. Drew, Jason Lloyd-Price, Ayshwarya Subramanian, Paul Lochhead, Amit Joshi, Kerry Ivey, Hamed Khalili, Gordon T. Brown, Casey Dulong, Mingyang Song, Long Nguyen, Himel Mallick, Eric B. Rimm, Jacques Izard, Curtis Huttenhower, and Andrew T. Chan Genomic and Functional Stability of the Human Gut Microbiome. Nature Microbiology (2018) vol. 3(3), pp. 347-355.
Galeb S. Abu-Ali, Raaj S. Mehta, Jason Lloyd-Price, Kerry L. Ivey, Himel Malick, Tobyn Branck, David A. Drew, Casey DuLong, Eric Rimm, Jacques Izard, Andy T. Chan, Curtis Huttenhower. Microbial ecology and population structure in the human gut metatranscriptome. Nature Microbiology (2018) vol. 3(3), pp. 356-366.
Jacques Izard and Maria C. Rivera, Editors. 2015. Metagenomics for Microbiology. Elsevier/Academic Press. Print Book ISBN 9780124104723. ebook ISBN: 9780124105089.
- The Human Microbiome Consortium. 2012. Structure, function and diversity of the human microbiome in an adult reference population. Nature. 486:207–214.
MS/Ph.D. Cell Biology and Microbiology, Aix-Marseille University, France
Post Doc, Microbiology, Wadsworth Center of the New York State Department of Health, Albany NY
Faculty appointments, Forsyth Institute/Harvard, Boston MA
Food Innovation Center, Room 254
Lincoln, NE 68588-6205
402 472 3068
Also a member of: