Mentoring post-doctoral fellow and advising Undergraduate, M.S. and Ph.D. students.
Course Director: Omnivore's digestive tract microbiome course (FDST 442/842 - Spring)
The human microbiome inhabits many body sites, such as the skin and the digestive tract from mouth to colon. The research topics are centered on the microbiome along the digestive tract, its dissemination, and interaction with the host in the context of health and disease. The work in the laboratory includes:
1) Understanding the effect of diet on the digestive microbiome,
2) Studying the dissemination of members of the microbiome,
3) Improving methodologies related to microbiome analyses.
Selected Publications (complete list of publications is available at NCBI via this link: http://go.unl.edu/0qwf ) (*co-authors):
- David A. Drew*, Paul Lochhead*, Galeb Abu-Ali, Andrew T. Chan, Curtis Huttenhower, and Jacques Izard. Fecal microbiome in epidemiologic studies – Letter. 2016. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention. 25:869.
- Jacques Izard and Maria C. Rivera, Editors. 2015. Metagenomics for Microbiology. Elsevier/Academic Press. Print Book ISBN 9780124104723. ebook ISBN: 9780124105089.
- Eric A. Franzosa, Xochitl C. Morgan, Nicola Segata, Levi Waldron, Joshua Reyes, Ashlee M. Earl, Georgia Giannoukos, Matthew Boylan, Dawn Ciulla, Dirk Gevers, Jacques Izard, Wendy S. Garrett, Andrew T. Chan, and Curtis Huttenhower. 2014. Relating the metatranscriptome and metagenome of the human gut. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 111(22):E2329-E2338.
- Dominique S. Michaud*, Jacques Izard*, Charlotte S. Wilhelm-Benartzi, Doo-Ho You, Verena A Grote, Anne Tjønneland, Christine C. Dahm, Kim Overvad, Mazda Jenab, Veronika Fedirko, Marie Christine, Boutron-Ruault, Françoise Clavel-Chapelon, Antoine Racine, Rudolf Kaaks, Heiner Boeing, Jana Foerster, Antonia Trichopoulou, Pagona Lagiou, Dimitrios Trichopoulos, Carlotta Sacerdote, Sabina Sieri, Domenico Palli, Rosario Tumino, Salvatore Panico, Peter Siersema, Petra HM Peeters, Lund Eiliv, Aurelio Barricarte, José-María Huerta, Esther Molina-Montes, Miren Dorronsoro, J. Ramón Quirós, Eric J. Duell, Weimin Ye, Malin Sund, Björn Lindkvist, Dorthe Johansen, Kay-Tee Khaw, Nick Wareham, Ruth C. Travis, Paolo Vineis, H. Bas Bueno-de-Mesquita, and Elio Riboli. 2013. Plasma antibodies to oral bacteria and subsequent risk of pancreatic cancer in a large European prospective cohort study (EPIC). Gut. 62:1764-1770.
- Nicola Segata, Susan Kinder Haake, Peter Mannon, Katherine P. Lemon, Dirk Gevers, Levi Waldron, Curtis Huttenhower and Jacques Izard. 2012. Composition of the adult digestive tract microbiome based on seven mouth surfaces, tonsils, throat and stool samples. Genome Biology. 13:R42.
- The Human Microbiome Consortium. 2012. Structure, function and diversity of the human microbiome in an adult reference population. Nature. 486:207–214.
MS/Ph.D. Cell Biology and Microbiology, Aix-Marseille University, France
Post Doc, Microbiology, Wadsworth Center of the New York State Department of Health, Albany NY
Faculty appointments, Forsyth Institute/Harvard, Boston MA
Food Innovation Center, Room 254
Lincoln, NE 68588-6205
402 472 3068
Also a member of: