Teaching and/or Extension Activities:
Food Product Development
Research in my lab is aimed at improving the quality and health-promoting properties of cereal grains and their products, with particular emphasis on whole grains and dietary fibers. Our approaches are to:
- Develop methodologies for evaluation of end-use quality and chemical composition of whole grains
- Determine how differences in chemical and physical properties of whole grains influence end-use quality
- Identify grain components with potentially health-promoting properties using in vitro approaches
- Determine the impact of whole grain- and dietary fiber-containing foods on diet-related disease prevention in human and animal trials
Graduate Students and Visiting Scholars
Lab Protocols and Methods
- Yang J, Rose DJ. 2016. The impact of long-term dietary pattern of fecal donor on in vitro fecal fermentation properties of inulin. Food & Function 7:1805-1813.
- Yang J, Bindels LB, Segura Munoz RR, Martínez I, Walter J, Ramer-Tait AE, Rose DJ. 2016. Disparate metabolic responses in mice fed a high-fat diet supplemented with maize-derived non-digestible feruloylated oligo- and polysaccharides are linked to changes in the gut microbiota. PLoS One 11(1): e014614.
- Brahma S, Weier SA, Rose DJ. 2016. Effects of selected extrusion parameters on physicochemical properties and in vitro starch digestibility and β-glucan extractability of whole grain oats. Journal of Cereal Science 70:85-90.
- Sabillón L, Stratton J, Rose DJ, Flores RA, Bianchini A. 2016. Reduction in microbial load of wheat by tempering with organic acid and saline solutions. Cereal Chemistry 93:638-646.
- Bhatta M, Eskridge K, Rose DJ, Santra D, Baenziger PS, Regassa T. 2017. Seeding rate, genotype, and top-dressed nitrogen effects on the yield and agronomic characteristics of winter wheat: I. Yield and agronomic characteristics. Crop Science 57:1-13.
- Brahma S, Martinez I, Walter J, Clarke J, Gonzalez T, Menon R, Rose DJ. 2017. Impact of dietary pattern of the fecal donor on in vitro fermentation properties of whole grains and brans. Journal of Functional Foods 29:281-289.
- Sabillón L, Bianchini A, Stratton J, Rose DJ. Effect of saline organic acid solutions applied during wheat tempering on flour functionality. Cereal Chemistry in press.
B.S. Food Science, Brigham Young University
M.S. Food Science, Brigham Young University
Ph.D., Food Science, Purdue University
Post Doc., Food Technology, USDA-ARS
268 Food Innovation Center
Lincoln, NE 68588-6205
402 472 2802