Teaching and/or Extension Activities:
Provide training to growers, food companies, and animal feed manufacturers on the implementation of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) rules. Provide technical knowledge and assistance in the review process for their food safety plans. Establish effective collaborations with industry and academia to deliver food safety assessments and workshops that will strengthen their pathogen control programs.
Preventive control courses for human food and animal food following the standard curriculum of FSPCA. Trainer on produce safety rule.
- Food microbiology and food safety.
- Effective interventions to reduce pathogens.
- Validation studies for food manufacturers.
Five Selected Publications:
- Ortuzar, J., Martinez, B., Bianchini, A., Stratton, J., Rupnow, J., Wang, B., (2018). Quantifying changes in spore-forming bacteria contamination along the milk production chain from farm to packaged pasteurized milk using systematic review and meta-analysis. Food control. 86: 319–331
- Estrada-Anzueto, M., Martinez B., Stratton, J., Bianchini, A. (2017). Identification of spoilage bacteria present in laboratory heat-treated and commercially pasteurized milk: a case study involving milk production chain in Nebraska. Research and Reviews: Journal of Food and Dairy Technology.
- Martinez, B., Stratton, J., Bianchini, A. (2017). Isolation and genetic identification of sporeformers associated with concentrated Skim Milk Chain in Nebraska. Journal of Dairy Science, 100 (2): 919-932.
- Martinez, B., Stratton, J., Bianchini, A., Wegulo S., Weaver, G. (2015).Transmission of Escherichia coli O157:H7 to internal tissues and its survival on flowering heads of wheat. Journal of Food Protection, 78(3), 518-524.
- Bianchini Huebner, A., Stratton, J., Weier, S., Hartter, T., Plattner, B., Rokey, G., Hertzel, G., Gompa, L., Martinez, B., Eskridge, K. Validation of extrusion as a killing step for Enterococcus faecium in a balanced carbohydrate-protein meal using a response surface design. (2012). Journal of Food Protection, 75(9), 1646-1653.
Assistant Professor of Scholarly Service
B.S. Argo-industrial Engineering, Zamorano University
M.S. Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Ph.D. Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
303 Food Innovation Center
Lincoln, NE 68588-6205
402 405 9440