Research and/or Extension Activities:
Areas of research interest include: 1) Functional ingredients in foods, particular interests include phytochemicals extraction, purification, identification, bioactivity assay (antioxidant, antimicrobial/antibiofilm, anti-obesity, inhibiting acrylamide or lipid oxidation, etc.), encapsulation, and their applications in food products. 2) Advanced instrumental analysis such as spectroscopy, chromatography, scanning electron microscope, color analysis, and the application of these techniques to solve food science problems. 3) Value-added products development from the by-products of agricultural commodities, and their economic evaluation.
- Xu, C., Yavuz, Y., Marshall, S., Li, Z., Simonne, A.H., Lu, J., & Marshall, M.R. (2015). Application of muscadine grape (Vitis rotundifolia) pomace extract to reduce carcinogenic acrylamide. Food Chemistry, 182, 200-208.
- Zhao, L., Yagiz, Y., Xu, C., Lu, J., Chung, S., & Marshall, M. R. (2015). Muscadine grape seed oil as a novel source of tocotrienols to reduce adipogenesis and adipocyte inflammation. Food & Function, 6, 2293-2302.
- Li, Z., Jiang, H., Xu, C., Gu, L. (2015). A Review: Using nanoparticles to enhance bioavailability and bioactivity of phenolic compounds. Food Hydrocolloids, 43, 153-164.
- Xu, C., Yagiz, Y., Hsu, W., Simonne, A., Lu, J., & Marshall, M. R. (2014). Antioxidant, antibacterial and antibiofilm properties of polyphenols from muscadine grape (Vitis rotundifolia Michx.) pomace against selected foodborne pathogens. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 62, 6640–6649.
- Xu, C., Yagiz, Y., Borejsza-Wysocki, W., Lu, J., Gu, L., Ramirez-Rodrigues, M., & Marshall, M. R. (2014). Enzymatic release of phenolics from muscadine grape (Vitis rotundifolia) skins and seeds. Food Chemistry, 157, 20-29.
Research Assistant Professor
B.S. Food Science and Engineering, Jiangxi Agricultural University, China
M.S. Food Biotechnology, China Agricultural University, China
Ph.D. Food Science, Food and Resource Economics (minor), University of Florida
Post Doc. Food Science, University of Florida
251 Food Innovation Center
Lincoln, NE 68588-6205
402 472 4635