Teaching and/or Extension Activities:
BSEN 446/846 Unit Operations of Biological Processing
Research Area:Research interests include food processing and bioprocessing, with particular emphasis on development of biofuels and bioproducts from lignocellulosic biomass and cereal grains. Research topics include enzyme production and utilization, fermentation, lignocellulosic biomass pretreatment for subsequent enzymatic hydrolysis, and integration of pretreatment technologies with storage and harvesting of grasses.
Five Selected Publications:
- Frederick, N., M. Li, D.J. Carrier, M.D. Buser, M.R. Wilkins. 2016. Switchgrass storage effects on the recovery of carbohydrates after liquid hot water pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis. AIMS Bioengineering 3:389-399
- Ramachandriya, K.D, D.K. Kundiyana, A.M. Sharma, A. Kumar, H.K. Atiyeh, R.L. Huhnke, M.R. Wilkins. 2016. Critical factors affecting the integration of biomass gasification and syngas fermentation technology. AIMS Bioengineering 3:188-210.
- Song, Q., Y. Mao, M. Wilkins, F. Segato, R. Prade. 2016. Cellulase immobilization on superparamagnetic nanoparticles for reuse in cellulosic biomass conversion. AIMS Bioengineering 3:264-276.
- Müller, M, R.A. Prade, F. Segato, H.K. Atiyeh, M.R. Wilkins. 2015. Continuous xylanase production with Aspergillus nidulans under pyridoxine limitation using a trickle bed reactor. Bioresource Technol. 188:219-225
- Silva, G.M., R.L.C. Giordano, A.J.G. Cruz, K.D. Ramachandriya, I.M. Banat and M.R. Wilkins. 2015. Ethanol production from sugarcane bagasse using SSF process and thermotolerant yeast. Trans. ASABE. 58:193-200
Director, Industrial Agricultural Products Center and Professor
M.S. Agricultural Engineering, University of Illinois
Ph.D. Agricultural Engineering, University of Illinois
211 Chase Hall
Lincoln, NE 68583-0726
402 472 8250