Dr. Curtis Weller
B.S. Food Science, University of Illinois
M.S. Food Science, University of Illinois
Ph.D. Agricultural Engineering, University of Illinois
210 LW Chase Hall
Lincoln, NE 68583-0726
Teaching and/or Extension Activities:
FDST 363 Heat and Mass Transfer FDST 465/865 Unit Operations in Food Engineering FDST 951 Advanced Seminar
Research responsibilities are in the broad area of food and bioproducts engineering with particular attention on value-added processing of agricultural commodities and physical properties determination. Concentration of research effort has been on refining of grain sorghum to recover high-value lipids and enhancing food safety through control of foodborne disease agents.
Five Selected Publications:
- Leguizamon, C., C.L. Weller, V.L. Schlegel and T.P. Carr. 2009. Plant sterol and policosanol characterization of hexane extracts from grain sorghum, corn and their DDGS. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 86(7):707-716.
- Christiansen, K,L., C.L. Weller, V.L. Schlegel and I. Dweikat. 2008. Comparison of lipid extraction methods on food grade sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) using hexane. Biol. Engr. 1(1):51-63.
- Wang, L., C.L. Weller, V.L. Schlegel, T.P. Carr and S.L. Cuppett. 2008. Supercritical CO2 extraction of lipids from grain sorghum dried distillers grains with solubles. Bioresour. Technol. 99(5):1373-1382.
- Christiansen, K.L., C. L. Weller, V. L. Schlegel, S. L. Cuppett and T. P. Carr. 2007. Extraction and characterization of lipids from the kernels, leaves and stalks of nine grain sorghum parent lines. Cereal Chem. 84(5):463-470.
- Wang, L., C.L. Weller, V.L. Schlegel, T.P. Carr and S.L. Cuppett. 2007. Comparison of supercritical CO2 and hexane extraction of lipids from sorghum distillers grains. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 109(6):567-574.