Dr. Jeyamkondan Subbiah
Kenneth E. Morrison Distinguished Professor in Food Engineering
B.S. Agricultural Engineering, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, India
M.S. Biosystems Engineering, University of Manitoba Winnipeg, Canada
Ph.D. Biosystems Engineering, Oklahoma State University
212 LW Chase Hall
Lincoln, NE 68583-0726
Teaching and/or Extension Activities:
BSEN 225 Engineering Properties of Biological Material; BSEN 303 Principles of Process Engineering
Current research interests include developing hyperspectral imaging and near-infrared spectroscopy systems for food quality and safety applications. Current focus is on predicting beef tenderness and identifying intentional contamination in food systems. Dr. Subbiah also works on non-thermal preservation technologies such as pulsed electric field pasteurization. Dr. Subbiah is also working on predictive microbiology and risk assessment models.
Five Selected Publications:
- K. Pitchai, S.L. Birla, J. Subbiah, D. Jones, H. Thippareddi. 2012. Coupled electromagnetic and heat transfer model for microwave heating in domestic ovens. Journal of Food Engineering. 112 (2012) 100–111 .
- Jaya Sundaram, Chari V. Kandala*, Konda Naganathan Govindarajan, Jeyam Subbiah. 2012. Sensing of Moisture Content of In-Shell Peanuts by NIR Reflectance Spectroscopy. Journal of Sensor Technology, 2012, 2, 1-7 doi:10.4236/jst.2012.21001 Published Online March 2012
- Curtis, E., Othman, S. F., Konda Naganathan, G., Subbiah, J. (in press). Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Relaxometry to Visualize Internal Freeze Damage to Pickling Cucumber. To appear in Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Relaxometry to Visualize Internal Freeze Damage to Pickling Cucumber.
- Singh, A., Korasapati, N. R., Juneja, V. K., Subbiah, J., Froning, G., Thippareddi, H. (2011). Dynamic predictive model for the growth of Salmonella spp. in liquid whole egg. Dynamic predictive model for the growth of Salmonella spp. in liquid whole egg., 76, M225-232.. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02074.x/abstract
- Vulugoti, P.R., Bohra, L.K., Juneja, V.K., Huang, L., Wesseling, A.L., Subbiah, J., Thippareddi, H. 2011. Dynamic model for predicting growth of salmonella spp. in ground sterile pork. Food Microbiology 28(4): 796-803.