Dr. Susan L. Cuppett
B.S. Animal Science, West Virginia University
M.S. Animal Nutrition, West Virginia University
Ph.D. Food Science, Michigan State University
Teaching and/or Extension Activities:
Serve as the Undergraduate Advisor. Teach the following: Introductory Food Science courses (Human Food Resources and Practical Experiences in Food Science), Sensory Evaluation, Fruit and Vegetable Technology, Senior Seminar, Advanced Food Lipids, Nutraceuticals.
Primary research interests focus on the in vitro and in vivo activity of natural antioxidants. My program has been involved with evaluating alternate methods for measuring lipid oxidation in oil systems; testing antioxidant activity in food systems and evaluating new sources of lipids, including waxes. In addition to standard testing of antioxidants in food systems, my lab has begun working with cell model systems to determine the biological activity of the natural compounds. Presently we are using the Caco-2 cell system to determine the ability of the natural antioxidants to prevent oxidative stress in the Caco-2 cell system. In addition I serve as the Sensory Analyst for the Department and for The Food Processing Center.
Five Selected Publications:
- Wijeratne, S. S. K. and Cuppett, S. L. 2006. Lipid Hydroperoxide Induced Oxidative Stress Damage and Antioxidant Enzyme Response in Caco-2 Human Colon Cells. J. Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 54, 12, 4476-4481.
- Wijeratne, S.K., S.L. Cuppett, V. Schlegel, 2005. Hydrogen peroxide induced oxidative stress damages and antioxidant enzyme response in Caco-2 human colon cells. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:8768.
- Carr, T.P., C. L. Weller, C.L., V. L. Schlegel, S. L. Cuppett, D. M. Guderian, D.M. K. R. Johnson, 2005. Grain sorghum lipid extract reduces cholesterol absorption and plasma non-HDL cholesterol concentration in hamsters. J Nutr 135: 2236-2240.
- Yildiz, G., R. L. Wehling and S. L. Cuppett. 2002. Monitoring PV in corn and soybean oils by NIR spectroscopy. Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society 79:1085-1089.
- Hwang, K. T., S. L. Cuppett, C. L. Weller and M. A. Hanna. 2002. Properties, composition and analysis of grain sorghum wax. Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society. 79:521-527.