Dr. Richard E. Goodman
B.S. Biology, Eastern Washington University
Ph.D. Dairy Science, The Ohio State University
Post Doc. Immunology, Cornell University
351 Food Industry Complex
Lincoln, NE 68583-0919
Teaching and/or Extension Activities:
Faculty at workshops on the safety assessment of genetically modified crops: Allergenicity assessment tools: bioinformatics, human serum IgE testing, pepsin digestion and animal models. Five day-workshops on the safety assessment of foods derived from GM crops. AGBIOS and ICMR, Hyderabad and Lucknow, India, Sept-Oct. 2006. Food and feed safety assessment of genetically modified crops: allergenicity and toxicity. Workshop on GM crop safety. Taiwan. 12-13 Sept. 2006.
1) Refining methods and evaluation criteria for regulatory assessments of the potential allergenicity of genetically modified crops. 2) Identification of food allergens.
Seven Selected Publications:
- Piboonpocanun S, Jirapongsananuruk O, Tipayanon T, Boonchoo S, Goodman RE. (2011) Identification of hemocyanin as a novel non-cross-reactive allergen from the giant freshwater shrimp Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Mol Nutr Food Res [E-Published ahead of print].
- Goodman RE and Tetteh AO. (2011). Suggested improvements for the allergenicity assessment of genetically modified plants used in foods. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 11(4):317-324.
- Panda R, Taylor SL, Goodman RE. (2010). Development of a sandwich enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for detection of buckwheat residues in food. J Food Sci 75(6):T110-T117.
- Ladics GS, Knippels LM, Penninks AH, Bannon GA, Goodman RE, Herouet-Guicheney C. (2010). Review of animal models designed to predict the potential allergenicity of novel proteins in genetically modified crops. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 56(2):212-224.
- Goodman RE. (2008). Performing IgE serum testing due to bioinformatics matches in the allergenicity assessment of GM crops. Food Chem Toxicol 46 Suppl 10:S24-S34.
- Ofori-Anti AO, Ariyarathna H, Chen L, Lee HL, Pramod SN, Goodman RE. (2008). Establishing objective detection limits for the pepsin digestion assay used in the assessment of genetically modified foods. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 52(2):94-103
- Goodman RE, Vieths S, Sampson HA, Hill D, Ebisawa M, Taylor SL, van Ree R. (2008). Allergenicity assessment of genetically modified crops—what makes sense? Nat Biotechnol 26(1):73-81.