Dr. Devin Rose
B.S. Food Science, Brigham Young University
M.S. Food Science, Brigham Young University
Ph.D., Food Science, Purdue University
Post Doc., Food Technology, USDA-ARS
252 Food Industry Complex
Lincoln, NE 68583-0919
Teaching and/or Extension Activities:
Food Product Development
Research in my lab is aimed at improving the quality and health-promoting properties of cereal grains and their products, with particular emphasis on whole grains and dietary fibers. Our approaches are to:
- Develop methodologies for evaluation of end-use quality and chemical composition of whole grains
- Determine how differences in chemical and physical properties of whole grains influence end-use quality
- Identify grain components with potentially health-promoting properties using in vitro approaches
- Determine the impact of whole grain- and dietary fiber-containing foods on diet-related disease prevention in human and animal trials
Five Selected Publications:
- Sweley JC, Meyer MC, Rose DJ, Jackson DS. 2012. Effects of hybrid, environment, oil addition, and microwave wattage on popped popcorn morphology. Journal of Cereal Science 56:276-281.
- Doblado-Maldonado AF, Arndt EA, Rose DJ. 2013. Effect of salt solutions applied during wheat conditioning on lipase activity and lipid stability of whole wheat flour. Food Chemistry 140:204-209.
- Hartzell AL, Maldonado-Gómez MX, Yang J, Hutkins RW, Rose DJ. 2013. In vitro digestion and fermentation of 5-formyl-aminosalicylate-inulin: a potential prodrug of 5-aminosalicylic acid. Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre 2:8-14.
- Martínez I, Lattimer JN, Hubach KL, Case JA, Yang J, Weber CG, Louk JA, Rose DJ, Kyureghian G, Peterson DA, Haub MD, Walter J. 2013. Gut microbiome composition is linked to whole grain-induced immunological improvements. ISME Journal 7:269-280.
- Mkandawire NL, Kaufman RC, Bean SR, Weller CL, Jackson DS, Rose DJ. 2013. Effects of sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench] tannins on α-amylase activity and in vitro digestibility of starch in raw and processed flours. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 61:4448-4454.