Dr. Rolando Flores
Professor and Department Head
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Universidad de Costa Rica
M.S. Agricultural Engineering, Iowa State University
Ph.D. Grain Science, Kansas State University
143F Food Industry Complex
Lincoln, NE 68583-0919
Teaching and/or Extension Activities:
Advanced Grain Processing Technologies, Milling Processing Technology Management. Milling Technology II; Management Applications in Grain Processing Industries; Principles of Milling
Research oriented toward the utilization, optimization and development of foods and new uses for
grains and other agricultural products and their by-products
• Silva, L.C., D. M. Queiroz, R.A. Flores and E. C. Melo. 2012. A simulation toolset for modeling grain storage facilities, J. of Stored Products Research, 48:30-36.
• Hicks, K. B., J. Wilson, and R. A. Flores. 2011. Progressive hull removal from barley using the Fitzpatrick comminuting mill. Applied Engineering in Agriculture,27(5): 797-802. (Received the 2012 ASABE Superior Paper Award.)
• Griffey, C., Brooks, W., Kurantz, M., Thomason, W., Taylor, F., Obert, D., Moreau, R., Flores, R., Sohn, M., and Hicks, K. 2010. Grain composition of Virginia winter barley and implications for use in feed, food, and biofuels production, Journal of Cereal Science, 51: 41-49.
• Prasopsunwattana, N., M. Botero Omary, E A. Arndt, P. H. Cooke, R. A. Flores, W. Yokoyama, A. Toma, S. Chongcham, and S. P. Lee. 2009. Particle size effects on the quality of flour tortillas enriched with whole grain waxy barley. Cereal Chemistry 86 (4): 439-451.
• Toma, A., M. B. Omary, K. A. Rosentrater, E. A. Arndt, N. Prasopsunwattana, S. Chongcham, R. A. Flores, and S. P. Lee. 2008. Understanding Consumer Preference for Functional Barley Tortillas Through Sensory, Demographic, and Behavioral Data. Cereal Chemistry 85 (6): 721-729.
• Moreau, R. A., K. E. Wayns, R. A. Flores, and K. B. Hicks. 2007. Tocopherols and tocotrienols in barley oil prepared from germ and other fractions from scarification and sieving of hulless barley. Cereal Chemistry 84(6): 587-592.