Teaching and/or Extension Activities:
Faculty at workshops and research on the safety assessment of genetically modified crops: Allergenicity assessment tools: bioinformatics, human serum IgE testing, pepsin digestion and animal models. Five day-workshops on the safety assessment of foods derived from GM crops in Africa, India, 2014. Lectures on identifying allergenic proteins, risks assessment of GM crops and novel food ingredients relative to allergenicity and toxicity (Argentina, China, India). Collaborations with non-profit groups on evaluating the safety of Golden Rice, insect resistant cowpea, bacterial blight resistant banana and mustard for Africa and Asia. Chairman of the IUIS Allergen Nomenclature Subcommittee. Associate Editor of Food and Chemical Toxicology.
1) Refining methods and evaluation criteria for regulatory assessments of the potential allergenicity of genetically modified crops.
2) Identification of food allergens.
3) Management of AllergenOnline.org database for food risk assessment.
4) Bioinformatics methods for evaluating the allergenicity and celiac disease potential of novel proteins.
Seven Selected Publications:
- Goodman RE. 2014. Biosafety evaluation and regulation of Genetically Modified (GM) crops in the United States. J Huazhong Agricultural University 33(6): in press (http://hnxbl.cnjournals.net/hznydxzr/ch/index.aspx ).
- Goodman RE, Panda R, Ariyarathna H. 2013. Evaluation of endogenous allergens for the safety evaluation of genetically engineered food crops: A review of potential risks, test methods, examples and relevance. J Agri Food Chem 61(35):8317-8332.
- Goodman RE. 2014. GMOs: Are they a regulatory or food safety issue" Cereal Foods World (AACC International). 59(4):164-169.
- Goodman RE and Tetteh AO. (2011). Suggested improvements for the allergenicity assessment of genetically modified plants used in foods. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 11(4):317-324.
- Ladics GS, Knippels LM, Penninks AH, Bannon GA, Goodman RE, Herouet-Guicheney C. (2010). Review of animal models designed to predict the potential allergenicity of novel proteins in genetically modified crops. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 56(2):212-224.
- Ofori-Anti AO, Ariyarathna H, Chen L, Lee HL, Pramod SN, Goodman RE. (2008). Establishing objective detection limits for the pepsin digestion assay used in the assessment of genetically modified foods. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 52(2):94-103
- Goodman RE, Vieths S, Sampson HA, Hill D, Ebisawa M, Taylor SL, van Ree R. (2008). Allergenicity assessment of genetically modified crops-what makes sense? Nat Biotechnol 26(1):73-81.
Eastern Washington University
Ph.D. Dairy Science,
The Ohio State University
Post Doc. Immunology, Cornell University
261 Food Innovation Center
Lincoln, NE 68588-6207
402 472 0452